Signs & Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning
Society itself accepts alcohol as a social outlet and most people can enjoy a drink or two knowing their limit. However, there are many people who binge drink or heavily drink. Binge drinking and heavy drinking can occur at any age but is most common among college students. Often these actions result in acute alcohol intoxication better known as "alcohol poisoning".
Some serious consequences of alcohol poisoning are as follows:
- Confusion or Disorientation
- Excessive Vomiting
- Irregular Breathing
Acute Alcohol Intoxication is very serious and if it goes untreated a person can ultimately die from it. A few common questions asked about alcohol poison are as follows:
1. What is Acute Alcohol Intoxication (Alcohol Poisoning)?
Answer: When a individual consumes an excessive amount of alcohol in a short period of time, the alcohol exceeds the Blood Alcohol Concentration or BAC making the body toxic. The most common cause for acute alcohol intoxication is binge drinking.
2. What are the symptoms of Acute Alcohol Intoxication?
Answer: We have listed some of the symptoms above, but the beginning stages of alcohol poisoning is disorientation and excessive vomiting. At this point medical attention should be sought.
3. Who does is affect?
Answer: Anyone and everyone. Though most people who overdose on alcohol are college students it can affect any individual that exceeds their BAC.
4. Can you die from it?
Answer: Yes and even if an individual does not die from alcohol poisoning, they can ultimately suffer permanent brain damage.
The legal BAC in the united states for an adult 21 or over is .08. The BAC for individuals 21 and under vary from state to state.
*Notice! At no point or time is this website considered medical advice. The information on this website is to be used simply as reference material. If you or someone you know is suffering or believed to be suffering from Acute Alcohol Intoxication (alcohol poisoning) please contact your nearest medical facility and seek treatment.